Child & Youth Risk Management
Statement of Commitment
Miami Beach Surf Life Saving Club (SLSC) is committed to safeguarding children and young people in our membership. We acknowledge that a child-safe organisation doesn’t just happen; it requires conscious effort to protect children and young people from harm.
Miami Beach SLSC will work together to ensure a safe and inclusive environment for all children participating in our community. We recognise that our staff, volunteers and members must understand the important responsibilities they each have in relation to child safety. Every person bound by this statement of commitment must always place the safety and welfare of children and young people above all other considerations.
Several measures will be used to achieve this such as:
• Prohibiting any form of abuse against children;
• Providing opportunities for our juniors to contribute to and provide feedback on our program development; • Carefully selecting and screening people whose role requires them to have regular contact with children.
• Ensuring our code of conduct for people in positions of authority is promoted and enforced, particularly for roles associated with junior sport;
• Providing and promoting avenues for raising concerns or complaints;
• Providing regular education and/or information to those involved in lifesaving on child abuse and child protection; and
• Ensuring safeguarding policy and procedures are communicated and understood by relevant staff and members.
The Miami Beach SLSC requires that if anyone bound by this statement of commitment reasonably suspects that a child within our organisation has been, or is being, abused, to report it immediately to the police or Department of Communities Child Safety and Disability Services, and to the Association’s Safeguarding Children and Young People online reporting portal.
All allegations of child abuse will be dealt with promptly, seriously, sensitively and confidentially. A person will not be victimised for reporting an allegation of child abuse and the privacy of all persons concerned will be respected.
Together, we commit to provide an environment where children feel safe, respected, and valued. As the President of Miami Beach SLSC, I hereby sign this Statement of Commitment on 30th June 2022.
President, Miami Beach SLSC